Thursday, September 3, 2009

Bine aţi venit la şcoală.

The first day of school for the entire country of Moldova is September 1. It's a national holiday and every school has a big celebration for the students. I got a call from my partners that morning to meet them at the school. Half of the village was there and the director (principal), mayor, and some of the village leaders spoke to congratulate the kids and wish them health and success. All of the kids showed up wearing fine suits and dresses, and they all brought flowers for their teachers. My partner introduced me to the village on the microphone. I thought for a split second there I was going to have to do an impromptu speech to the village in Romanian, but luckily they didn't ask. If the people of my village didn't know the tall, funny looking American dude before, they definitely know me now. The director proceeded to get back on the microphone, thanked me for being here, and invited me to join the first graders in their first class ever. So, next thing you know, I'm sitting in the back of the class with some cool, 7 year old, finely dressed Moldovan kids. I felt like Billy Madison. After class, I got invited into the director's office where I ended up taking a few shots of wine with the director, mayor, and a few village leaders. I would never find myself in this situation in America, but in Moldova a few shots of wine are taken to ensure the success of the new school year. Fii sanatos.




A video I took while sitting in the back of the class with the first graders. Their first lesson they learned about the significance of the first day of school celebration to Moldova.

National anthem being played.

Some of the kids wearing the national outfits while singing and dancing.


The first graders about to go to their very first class.


Some of the crowd around the school watching the kids.

Some sharply dressed first graders. These are the kids I sat in the class with.

3 comments:

  1. First day of school. Internationally the same. Children are dressed in their very best. So sweet seeing the smiles on students, teachers and parents faces. Keep the entries coming. Enjoy so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back to school. Back to school, to prove to Dad that I'm not a fool. I got my lunch packed up, my boots tied tight, I hope I don't get in a fight!

    hilarious! keep it coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your posts are really interesting and informational. I hope to read more about Moldovan culture and traditions from you.

    ReplyDelete