Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My village


Village life is foarte bine, "very good". I live in a village called Milestii Mici, which is about a thirty minute microbus ride from Chisinau, the capital of Moldova. I live with a family of four: Doamna Tatiana, Domnule Andrei, Ana, and Andrei. Andrei and Ana are 20 and 19 years old, so they want to spend all of their time with me, which is great. They are both learning to speak english, so we spend all evening exchanging englez for romana. The picture to the left is standing in front of my house, looking down the road I walk to school every morning. I walk about 30 minutes down the dirt roads to my school, where I have three Moldovans teaching me romanian for about 4 hours a day. After school, I have agribusiness and cultural training. The best part of the day is after school. As soon as I step in the door (actually anytime you step foot in my house), Doamna Tatiana is shoving food down my throat. "Vince, mininc, mininc, mininc" is all I hear - "Vince, eat, eat, eat". Their hospitality is amazing. I have to tell them I am full about three times before they finally stop pushing food on my plate. After I eat, they offer me tea. This is always a tough decision, because if I accept the tea, they think I should eat more food with the tea. Yesterday, I played fotbal with four village kids about ten years old. All they knew in english was "hello" and "goodbye", and they were so excited to say both. For the record, they beat us. I'm not kidding, they were good. I have tons of other pics from Milestii Mici (pronounced Milest chee meech). All of my pics are on my computer, and it died, so I'm on another volunteer's computer. I'll post a full album of pics in the next week or so. One last thing I should mention about living in a village: the abundance of fruit. Different fruits have different seasons, and cherries and raspberries are in full bloom now. There is a tree or bush every ten feet anywhere you go in the village full of fruit waiting to be eaten.

I have internet access atleast a few times a week, so I'll post soon. Ne vedem mai tirzui - see you later.

7 comments:

  1. What is a pretty looking village.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vince - I'm so stoked to see how much you're enjoying it already. I hope I broke you with the tea and fotball. By the time you come back I won't stand a chance (if even did in the first place) playing a game with you. Let me know what you need brother and it's in the post.

    -Eric

    ReplyDelete
  3. Son,
    So grateful to hear such wonderful things coming from your home away from home. Sounds like your new family enjoys you as much as you enjoy being there. What is up with computer? Do you need a new one? Mailed letter today so let's see how long it takes. Love to you and family.
    Moma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Son,

    Seems like your new family enjoys you as much as you enjoy being in Moldova. Can't wait to see more pics. What's up with your computer? Do you need a new one? I send my love to you and family. Love

    Moma

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear from you! Don't know if MeMe told ya or not but we are going to try and plan a visit for April of next year. Big D said "Hell yea"!! Is there anything you need? If so please let me know.
    We love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That pic looks like earls. So i know you feel right at home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vince,
    I'm so glad to hear how well you are doing! I'm sure your are making a strong impact on everyone you meet. I love and miss you! Take care of yourself. Can't wait to read more!
    love de

    ReplyDelete