Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Ninje tare tare

There's enough snow for everyone. This week the temperature got down to -23 C, which is -10 F. Here's my good ol' village of Zguriţa.

Traditional house in the village.

Main road out of my village. There is a town 20 km straight ahead.

My bus stop is at the bottom of this hill. I usually hitch hike, so this is the road I use to thumb for cars to stop when driving into town.
One of my favorite houses in the village.

This is my soba (fireplace) that keeps my apartment heated. When I moved into the building there was a statue of Lenin on top of the soba.

Reading Communism: A History by Richard Pipes and having Lenin's head looking across your living room is a very bittersweet thing.

Me and Justin thinking up grand plans to bring change to the world.

First Moldovan masa at my place with Justin and Kim, two awesome Volunteers who live in my district of Moldova.



This Friday I am leaving with four other Peace Corps Volunteers for a 12 day vacation to the Middle East. We'll be seeing Romania, Israel, Jordan, and Egypt. Check back in a few weeks for lots of pics of camels, hummus, hookahs, Jews, pyramids, Muslims, and 75 degree weather. Peace.

5 comments:

  1. pretty pictures of the snow! Have fun on your vacation! sounds like fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm writing from near Venezia, Italy and it finally snowed here a few days ago, but it only lasted a couple of days...As a guy raised in Canada snow is a very normal thing...especially when there is alot...So I miss it here in Italy, as does my wife, who is Moldovan...we became kids the other snowy days...have a Merry Christmas and great vacations...roby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas Vince, I hope you are having a wonderful time. We will Keep Praying for you and looking forward to the day you come home.

    We have at least 3ft of snow here and hovering around 0 for the past few days. Soon we will have the -20 here.
    Love Creighton, Danielle, Alex, and Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss you and love you. Have a wonderful experience and see the world son. Merry Christmas and a most HAPPY HAPPY NEW YEAR. And if you can't fry it, spray paint it gold. Ha.
    Love, Moma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pics! Now post some of Egypt!!

    ReplyDelete